I’m working on two very different characters and stories this week. One character is broken, physically and mentally yet continues to drag himself through each day trying to help those around him who need it. The other is a social outcast who has created her own family and is fighting her blood family to be legally cast out so that she is in control of her own life.
He’s fighting for every breathe while she is fairly happy if a bit bitter and does not want her current life taken away. They’ve both seen the worst the world around them has to offer and chose to keep moving yet both have vastly different responses to their circumstances.
Their personalities are mirrored in that either would do anything for someone they cared about, no matter the cost to themselves yet the woman has more self esteem and self worth then the male character. She is younger mentally and more willing to bend while the male has been betrayed over and over until he expects it to happen at any moment from anyone around him. The woman still sees some loyalty and good in the people around her.
For those wondering, yes, I’m writing Clint and Gryphon. I hope to post tons of new chapters in January once my life gets back to normal after the holidays.
1) Favorite novel of the year?
Dodger by Terry Pratchett
2) Favorite non-fiction book of the year?
On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
3) Favorite short story of the year?
From ‘Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers: Magical Tales of Love and Seduction‘, my favorite was “The Eye of the Storm” by Kelley Eskridge. I kept going back to it.
4) Favorite movie of the year?
5) Favorite TV show of the year?
Not watching TV much this year but I did watch Netflix and a bunch of Anime. My favorite Anime this year was Sword Art Online and Fairy Tale.
6) Favorite song of the year?
This is gonna hurt, Sixx AM
Skin, Sixx AM
Welcome Home, Heaven’s Basement
Brave, Sara Bareilles
I don’t want to be here anymore, Rise Against
7) Favorite album?
The Connection by Papa Roach
The Black Market by Rise Against
8) Favorite video game?
I’ve only played Wow and Skyrim this year but I want to get Child of Light and the original Assassins Creed.
9) Favorite app?
Writing Goals for 2015
1) Submit to agents, magazines, and everywhere else I can get published. Get my work out there!
I was looking through a few of my life couching websites and came across several posts where the author listed out ten or more things that they were trying to model their life after. I started trying to make my own list only to die laughing over several of the things that popped up. Take it with a grain of salt but here is my Manifesto for the new year.
- “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
- What will you do with your one and precious life? What are you pushing towards today?
- Following your gut can hurt, do it anyway.
- Do it now. Putting things off will only make you forget them.
- There’s no such thing as a guilty pleasure. Pleasure is pleasure.
- Choose your perfection. Not everything has to be perfect.
- Breaks are allowed, naps are even better.
- Always learn. Always read.
- Be me, if I can’t be me be Batman.
- Say thank you, people don’t hear it enough.
- You are a bad-ass writer, act like it.
- Screw small steps, jump off the cliff. Change is a good thing.
- Do not accept bad treatment from anyone, even someone you love.
- No one cares if you screw up unless it impacts them. Accept your mistakes and try to do better next time.
- It is not selfish to do things for yourself. If you have nothing for yourself you have nothing to share with others.
- Yes, now you are a flawed grown-up and guess what? So are your parents, mentors and teachers. We are all broken, respect that and be gentle with yourself and others.
- Just because I’m not smiling does not mean I am unhappy.
- Change hurts, welcome the pain and push through it. (You are still allowed to whine about it.)
A new chapter of Beta has been posted.
No, I have not stopped sqweeing yet ;-)
I’m not setting a goal this week for my writing. I normally try to get a few thousand words done but I have too many other things I need to get done, (candles, banking, and house chores)
to set a number I might not make. This week is going to be checking off to do lists and making myself go to the new shiny gym I joined.